Sunday, March 8, 2020

The Freedom to be.....


The Freedom to be…….

There is no better way to celebrate Woman’s Day than letting us speak our mind and voice our feelings with strength and conviction. A woman by far, is the finest creation of God. She is an epitome of love and compassion. They are gifted with some real super powers as they never fail to impress in every role they play. Be it a homemaker or a career woman or the one balancing both home and work, women are multi-taskers. Not to boast about, have you ever seen a man preparing his presentations while keeping a tab on the pressure cooker whistles? A woman has powers that are hard to fathom. She can lift you up in a second and also bring you down in an instant. She might make you the happiest person in the world while she can also put you through real hell. A woman can love with all her heart and soul unless you press the bitch button.

Yes, I am proud to be born a woman. I sometimes amaze myself with my own strengths. At times, I carry heavy burdens and still spread happiness. I am capable of smiling when deep inside I feel like screaming. I am unpredictable. At times I cry when am happy and laugh when I have to hide my sadness. I am capable of giving unconditional love but also capable of pulling out my guns when required. At times am intriguing and a mystery to some around me. I can also be moody or nasty.  I am a loving daughter, caring sister, devoted wife and compassionate mother. I embrace my struggles and scars gracefully and not afraid to fix the things which do not work. I am proud to be UNAPOLOGETICALLY ME.

My dear girls, be yourself.  Be proud of your achievements and flaunt your feminism with style and elan. Stop being a scapegoat. Voice out your opinions and learn to say a no. Feminist Movements across the world might have won us gender equality as a right but sadly we still face gender discrimination in our day to day lives. This discrimination differs in its ways and kind.  For me , gender discrimination means not letting a woman lead a life which she desires for. Gender Equality is the freedom to be myself without being judged and criticized for my choices.

When I say that I am a feminist, it does not mean that I hate males and am unable to relate to them. Being a feminist does not mean that I am superior neither does it give me the right to demean a man. I still like to be treated as a lady and the feminist in me doesn’t get hurt while taking help from males. Feminism is all about equality and human rights, being given the choice to be.  Ideally, no human being should need society’s approval on his/her way of life. Feminism is not female dominance, it is breaking away of patriarchal convictions that limit a woman. For me feminism is mutuality, a respect towards each other’s preferences and ways of life.

 “Women should not drink and party”
“If you get raped, it will be your fault”
“One more promotion, I hope your boss is not getting lucky”

We hear one or other such hurting phrases in our day to day lives. But take it as  society’s accepted behavior towards us. We see women being insulted but never choose to raise our voice. It is not enough to simply talk about gender equality. One has to believe in it and work for it. We talk about gender equality, women empowerment and feminism in public platforms, but in reality we believe in different sets of acceptable behavior for different women at different times. We teach empowerment to our daughters but fail to teach our sons how to live with an empowered woman. 

One of the greatest problems lies in the fact that women themselves are governed by malice towards each other. My dear girls, if you are a female, it is stupid to be not on your side. Dare to stand up for yourself and your fellow women. Don’t judge, don’t criticize, don’t belittle each other. Let us be each other’s biggest strength. All it takes is a moment of courage and strength to stand up against the wrong.

It is time we start seeing gender as a spectrum instead of two sets of opposing ideals. It is time, we start accepting and respecting each other for what we are. It is time to break the walls around us and defy all stereotypes. It is time to stand up for ourselves and respect our own individualities. Before the world respects you, it is important that you respect yourself. Speak up for what you believe in. Tell the world about your aspirations and how you want your life to shape. Stop compromising and learn to say a no without feeling a need to explain yourself.

Someone once asked me, “What does a woman want?”
My answer was instant and simple. All that a woman wants is to be the master of her own life. Is it too much to ask for?



No comments:

Post a Comment